Oyster Dressing "Grand-Mère"
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 2 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large baguettes (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch dice (12 cups)
- 4 dozen shucked oysters plus 1 cup oyster liquor, oysters halved (2 cups)
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 10-by-14-inch shallow baking dish. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and let melt, then add the celery, green pepper, onion and minced garlic and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the paprika, garlic powder and cayenne and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put the diced baguettes in a large bowl. Spoon the bacon mixture on top. Add the oysters and their liquor along with the scallions and parsley.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the hot sauce and salt. Pour the eggs into the bowl and mix everything together. Scrape the dressing into the prepared baking dish and bake in the upper third of the oven for about 45 minutes, until heated through and crisp on top. Serve hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.