- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped salted roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Brown sugar or pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a large saucepan, boil the oats in the water for 1 minute. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- The next day, uncover the oats and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the oatmeal is cooked and creamy but still a little bit chewy, about 10 minutes. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls. Top with the chopped almonds and dried cranberries and sweeten to taste with brown sugar or pure maple syrup.
The prepared oatmeal can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Rewarm in a microwave oven and thin with water if necessary before serving.