Overnight Oatmeal with Almonds and Dried Cranberries
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN Plus Overnight Soaking
- SERVINGS: 6
Many people miss out on the nutty flavor and nubby texture of oatmeal made with steel-cut oats because they assume it's too time-consuming to prepare. But if you soak the oats overnight, they cook in just 10 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped salted roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Brown sugar or pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a large saucepan, boil the oats in the water for 1 minute. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- The next day, uncover the oats and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the oatmeal is cooked and creamy but still a little bit chewy, about 10 minutes. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls. Top with the chopped almonds and dried cranberries and sweeten to taste with brown sugar or pure maple syrup.