- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of saffron, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed
- 3 juice oranges, zest julienned, juice squeezed and strained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small jicama (1 pound), peeled and cut into 3-by-1/3-inch matchsticks
- 2 fennel bulbs (3/4 pound each)—halved, cored and cut into 1/3-inch-thick wedges
- In a medium bowl, stir the vinegar with the salt, sugar and saffron until the salt and sugar dissolve. Add the crushed red pepper, capers, orange zest and juice and water. In a deep glass or ceramic bowl, mix the jicama and fennel. Pour the brine over the vegetables. Press a sheet of plastic over the vegetables and top with a heavy pot lid or plate to keep them submerged in the brine. Refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the pickles and reserve the brine. Arrange the pickles in a shallow bowl, drizzle them with some of the reserved brine and serve.
The pickles can be refrigerated in the brine for 2 days.
One Serving Calories 29 kcal, Total Fat 0.1 gm, Saturated Fat 0 gm, Protein 1 gm, Carbohydrates 7 gm.