© Martin Morrell
Oven-Roasted Tomatoes Stuffed with Goat Cheese
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 12
- 12 medium tomatoes (3 pounds)
- 1 2/3 pounds fresh goat cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Slice off the top 1/2 inch of each tomato and reserve the tops. Scoop out the tomato cores and seeds. Cut a very thin sliver off of the bottom of each tomato to help them stand up straight. Arrange the tomatoes in a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the goat cheese with the egg, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spoon the goat cheese mixture into the tomatoes, mounding the filling 1/2 inch above the rim. Cover with the tomato tops and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake the tomatoes for 35 minutes, until tender and browned in spots and the cheese is hot. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.