Oven-Braised Fennel with Black Figs
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 large fennel bulbs-trimmed, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Dried Mission figs, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 thyme sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the fennel wedges, figs and onion slices in a roasting pan in an even layer. Pour the broth, wine and olive oil over the fennel. Season generously with salt and pepper and scatter the thyme sprigs on top. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, until the fennel is very tender.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°. Uncover the fennel and cook on the top shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes, basting a few times with the cooking liquid, until the liquid has reduced and the fennel is glazed. Discard the thyme sprigs and serve the fennel hot or warm.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.