© Richard Gerhard Jung
Orzo with Tomatoes, Basil and Gorgonzola
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup orzo pasta (6 ounces)
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the orzo and cook over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the stock and season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer over low heat until the stock has been absorbed and the orzo is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the tomatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the remaining garlic and half of the basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mound the orzo in the middle of plates or a platter. Spoon the tomatoes around the orzo, scatter the Gorgonzola and the remaining basil over the top and serve.