Orzo Salad with Feta, Spinach and Mushrooms
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
In this riff on traditional pasta salad, orzo, spinach, celery and shiitake mushrooms get a twang from feta cheese and a red wine–lemon vinaigrette.
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 2 1/4 cups orzo (15 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups spinach leaves (1 1/2 ounces), cut into thin strips
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 9 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, shaking the skillet, until the nuts are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet. Add the shiitakes, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice and the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil; add to the orzo to loosen it up.
- Add the spinach, celery, feta, pine nuts and mushrooms to the orzo and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or lightly chilled.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.