- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups orzo (10 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup marinated artichokes, drained and quartered
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
How to make this recipe
In a deep, 10-inch skillet, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook over high heat, pressing to flatten, until cooked through,
10 minutes. Transfer to a plate, leaving the fat in the pan. Break the sausage into bite-size pieces. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the orzo and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the stock and 2 cups of water and cook, stirring constantly, until the orzo is al dente and suspended in a thick creamy broth, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the sausage, artichokes, peas, chives and cheese to the orzo. Cook, stirring, until the peas are heated through and the
cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Serve the orzo risotto in bowls, passing extra cheese at the table.
Jammy, dark-fruited Primitivo.