- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups orzo (10 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup marinated artichokes, drained and quartered
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- In a deep, 10-inch skillet, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook over high heat, pressing to flatten, until cooked through, 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate, leaving the fat in the pan. Break the sausage into bite-size pieces. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the orzo and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the stock and 2 cups of water and cook, stirring constantly, until the orzo is al dente and suspended in a thick creamy broth, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sausage, artichokes, peas, chives and cheese to the orzo. Cook, stirring, until the peas are heated through and the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Serve the orzo risotto in bowls, passing extra cheese at the table.
Jammy, dark-fruited Primitivo.