- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups orzo (8 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 4 ounces country ham or prosciutto, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 ounce dried mushrooms, such as shiitake, black trumpet and maitake, pulverized with a mortar and pestle or a stone
- 5 cups water
- 1 ounce grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (6 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the orzo, rosemary, ham and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the water 1/2 cup at a time and stir constantly, allowing the liquid to be absorbed between additions, until the orzo is al dente, about 20 minutes. Stir in the cheese and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Serve with hot sauce.
Light, berry-inflected Beaujolais.