- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the orzo and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the orzo is tender, about 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, fold in grated cheese and serve.