- 12 ounces orzo (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the orzo until al dente, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover the raisins with warm water and let stand until softened, 10 minutes. Drain the orzo and rinse under cold water. Drain the raisins and transfer them to a large bowl with the orzo.
In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the onion to the orzo along with the olives, cheese and parsley and stir. Season with salt and pepper and serve.