- Two 6-ounce cans albacore tuna
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, for spreading
- Eight 1/4-inch-thick slices of Swiss or cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- Sixteen 1/8-inch-thick lengthwise slices of kosher dill pickle
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- In a medium bowl, mix the tuna with the onion, olive oil, vinegar, basil and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a panini press or griddle. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with mustard and mayonnaise and top each roll half with a slice of cheese. Spread the tuna salad on the bottoms and cover with the pickles. Close the sandwiches and spread the outsides of the rolls with the butter.
- Add the sandwiches to the press and cook over moderate heat until the cheese is melted, about 6 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
Pinot Noir is Oregon's famous grape, but Pinot Gris also does well there. It would pair well with these tuna-melts.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.