Orecchiette with Veal, Capers and White Wine
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground veal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons small capers, rinsed
- 3/4 pound orecchiette
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the veal, season with salt and pepper and raise the heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veal is no longer pink and any liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Add the white wine to the skillet and boil over high heat until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and capers and simmer over moderate heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the orecchiette in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta well and add it to the skillet along with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, chopped parsley and butter. Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to bowls and serve right away.
Crisp, substantial white blend from northern Italy.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.