- 1 pound orecchiette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound chicory or escarole, coarsely chopped and washed
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons shredded mint
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Add the garlic, crushed red pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicory with any water clinging to the leaves and season with salt. Cover and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook until the chicory is tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the sausage, chicken stock and pecorino and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the liquid is slightly reduced and creamy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mint and serve right away, passing extra cheese at the table.
Spicy, cherry-full Dolcetto d'Alba.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.