Orecchiette with Pistachio Pesto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Maverick New York City chefs Frank Falcinelli and Frank Castronovo are known for making wildly delicious versions of super-simple dishes at their Frankies Spuntino restaurants. This amazing pesto has a key ingredient that makes it stand out: Sicily’s famous pistachio nuts, which are sweet, fruity and almost shockingly bright green.
- 7 ounces unsalted roasted shelled pistachios (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths and julienned
- 1 pound orecchiette
- In a food processor, chop the pistachios. Add the olive oil, mint and garlic and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the 1/2 cup of cheese and the scallions; season with salt.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot. Add the cooking water and the pesto and cook over low heat, tossing, until coated. Serve, passing more cheese at the table.
Brisk, minerally Italian Pinot Grigio.