Orecchiette with Lemony Grilled Squid, Arugula and Chickpeas
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The orecchiette in this lemony, bright-flavored pasta dish holds the delicious chickpeas like little cups. If you can, make the dish with small squid, which tend to be more tender than large ones.
More Grilled Seafood Recipes
- 3/4 pound orecchiette
- 1/2 pound cleaned squid
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 packed cups baby arugula
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- Light a grill. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking water. Return the al dente pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the squid with 1 tablespoon of the oil; season with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and white throughout, 4 minutes. Transfer the squid to a work surface. Slice the bodies crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rings and quarter the tentacles.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Stir the lemon-garlic sauce into the pasta. Stir in the arugula, chickpeas, squid and the reserved pasta cooking water. Cook over low heat, tossing, until the arugula is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls and serve.
Brisk, citrusy Italian white, such as a Vermentino.