Orecchiette with Lemony Grilled Squid, Arugula and Chickpeas
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
The orecchiette in this lemony, bright-flavored pasta dish holds the delicious chickpeas like little cups. If you can, make the dish with small squid, which tend to be more tender than large ones.
- 3/4 pound orecchiette
- 1/2 pound cleaned squid
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 packed cups baby arugula
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- Light a grill. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking water. Return the al dente pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the squid with 1 tablespoon of the oil; season with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and white throughout, 4 minutes. Transfer the squid to a work surface. Slice the bodies crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rings and quarter the tentacles.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Stir the lemon-garlic sauce into the pasta. Stir in the arugula, chickpeas, squid and the reserved pasta cooking water. Cook over low heat, tossing, until the arugula is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls and serve.
Brisk, citrusy Italian white, such as a Vermentino.