- 3 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 3/4 pound feta, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 2 pounds sweet and hot sausages
- 2 pounds dried orecchiette
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with 7 tablespoons of the olive oil, the mint and 2 tablespoons of the oregano; season with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the broiler. Roast the peppers under the broiler, turning, until charred. Transfer to a plastic bag and let steam for 15 minutes. Peel the peppers, discarding the cores, ribs and seeds; cut the peppers into 1/4 -inch strips.
- Brush the feta with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, sprinkle with pepper and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oregano and broil until golden on both sides.
- Broil the sausages, turning, until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and cover with foil.
- Cook the pasta in a stockpot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the tomatoes; add the pepper strips. Slice the sausage, crumble the feta and toss both with the pasta; add some of the cooking water if the pasta seems dry. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
An aromatic Pinot Gris.