Oranges in Citrus Syrup
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This orange dish is easy to prepare. It gets a slightly exotic flavor from being marinated in orange-flower syrup.
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest, plus strips for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange-flower water
- 8 navel oranges
- Cape gooseberries (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice with the sugar and the finely grated orange zest and bring to a boil, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature, then stir in the orange-flower water.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Cut the oranges crosswise 1/3 inch thick and transfer to a large, shallow serving bowl. Pour the syrup over the oranges and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Garnish with the orange-zest strips and cape gooseberries and serve cold.