- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 10 medium navel oranges
- 11/4 cups Champagne or sparkling wine (about half of a 750 ml bottle)
- Mint leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Using a small sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a large glass dish, cut between the membranes to release the orange sections. Arrange them in the dish and add any accumulated orange juice.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, honey and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot syrup over the oranges and let cool. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- Spoon the oranges and syrup into 10 shallow soup plates. Pour 2 tablespoons of the Champagne into each bowl, garnish with mint leaves and serve.