- One 3/4-pound blood orange or other thin-skinned orange
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Cut the top and bottom off the orange and discard. Thinly slice the orange and discard any seeds. Transfer the orange slices to a food processor and puree. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the olive oil and pulse just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder. In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the eggs with the remaining 1 cup of sugar at moderate speed until thick, about 8 minutes. Fold in half of the flour mixture, then fold in the orange puree and vanilla. Fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325° and bake the cake for 30 minutes longer, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool, then unmold the cake and serve.
The cake can be stored overnight in an airtight container.