- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon orange flower water (optional)
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, rum or Cognac
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale. Add the flour and mix well, then gradually whisk in the milk, orange zest, orange flower water and orange liqueur.
In a large stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with clean beaters until they are stiff but not dry. Fold the beaten whites into the egg yolk mixture and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the <em>clafoutis</em> is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Cut the <em>clafoutis</em> into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
A French white will go happily with the clafoutis.