- 1 cup fresh orange juice (from about 2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest (from about 3 oranges)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 pounds chicken wings
How to make this recipe
- Heat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the orange juice with the orange zest, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat.
- On two large baking sheets, arrange the wings in a single layer. Reserve 1/4 cup of the orange mixture and spoon the rest of the mixture over the wings. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and baste them with the reserved orange mixture. Cook until just done, about 10 minutes longer.
Test-Kitchen Tip When you grate the orange zest, remove only the orange layer of the skin, leaving the bitter white pith behind.
Serve this finger food with a vegetable that you can also eat with your hands, such as strips of raw fennel or jicama.
Sweet, salty, and hot, this dish really needs a wine with good acidity, moderate alcohol, and just a touch of sweetness. Look for a low-alcohol German Kabinett Riesling or a semi-dry Riesling from the Finger Lakes region of New York.