Orange and Polenta Biscuits
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 6 DOZEN
Polenta, or cornmeal, gives these simple cookies a fantastic crunch. They are great with ice cream, fruit salads and compotes or simply a cup of coffee.
- 1 1/2 cups medium non-instant polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) chilled unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- In a food processor, combine the polenta with the butter, sugar, flour, orange zest and salt and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the eggs and pulse just until the dough comes together. Transfer the dough to a bowl and refrigerate until slightly firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop slightly rounded teaspoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges and on the bottoms. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.