© Pernille Pedersen
Open-Faced Roasted Pepper and Hummus Sandwiches
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 8 sandwiches
More Great Sandwiches
- 3 red bell peppers, halved and cored
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup prepared hummus
- 1 bunch arugula (1/4 pound), stemmed
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the bell pepper halves in a broiler pan, skin side up, and flatten them with the heel of your hand. Broil the peppers until the skin is blackened, about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a plate, cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes. Peel the roasted peppers and cut the flesh into 1/2-inch strips. Keep the broiler on.
- Brush the bread on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Broil, turning once, until toasted.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the roasted pepper strips, season with salt and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and drain the roasted pepper oil into a small bowl.
- Spread the hummus on the slices of toast and top with the roasted pepper strips, arugula and tomato slices. Season the open-faced sandwiches with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the reserved roasted pepper oil and serve.