© Phoebe Lapine
Open-Faced Buckwheat Crêpes with Grilled Eggplant and Mâche
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 crêpes
The grilled eggplant can be prepared ahead and refrigerated overnight. Just bring it to room temperature before using.
Slideshow: More Gluten-Free Recipes
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 large eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces mâche
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buckwheat flour with the eggs and half of the milk until lump-free. Add the remaining milk and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate the batter for 20 minutes.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush each piece of eggplant on both sides with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over high heat, turning once, until soft, about 2 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the mint, capers and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Line a plate with wax paper. Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet and lightly brush with olive oil. Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the skillet and swirl to coat the pan. Cook over moderate heat until the edges begin to pull away from the pan, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip the crêpe and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute longer. Transfer the crêpe to the prepared plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top the crêpes with the eggplant and the mâche. Drizzle with the lemon-herb sauce and serve.