- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1-pound flank steak
- Freshly ground pepper
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of whole-grain bread
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices of Flash-Pickled Green Tomatoes, plus 1 tablespoon pickling liquid
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
- On a work surface, sprinkle the minced garlic with salt and, using the flat side of a knife, mash the garlic to a smooth paste. In a small bowl, whisk the garlic paste with the rosemary, paprika and olive oil. Rub the marinade all over the steak and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Heat a grill pan. Season the flank steak with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium-rare, about 7 minutes. Transfer the steak to a board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain.
- Grill the bread until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Spread each slice with 1/2 teaspoon each of the mayonnaise and mustard. Arrange the steak on the bread and top with the pickled green tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with the tomato pickling liquid and season with salt and pepper. Mound the arugula on the sandwiches and serve.
The grilled steak can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Thinly slice the steak as needed.
One Serving 290 cal, 14 gm fat, 4 gm sat fat, 13 gm carb, 2 gm fiber, 28 gm protein.
Juicy, medium-bodied Spanish red.