- Two 4-ounce cans brisling sardines in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled hot chiles
- 1 large radish, cut into fine matchsticks ( 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Four large 3/4-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- In a bowl, combine the sardines, onion, chiles, radish, lemon juice and parsley.
- In a small bowl, using the back of a spoon, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, mustard and the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season the aioli with salt.
- Preheat the broiler. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and broil, turning once, until lightly toasted. Transfer the toasts to a work surface and spread with the aioli. Mound the sardine mixture on top, cut each toast in half and serve right away.
Fresh, lemony white such as an Albariño.