- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound very thinly sliced ham
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Four 1-inch-thick slices of Pullman bread
- 8 slices (1/2 pound) of Gruyère cheese
- Basil leaves, for garnish
On a griddle, melt the butter. Cook the ham over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crispy around the edges, about 5 minutes.
In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Dip the bread in the eggs and cook on the griddle until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the bread and top with the cheese and ham. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Garnish with basil and serve.