Open-Face Monte Cristos
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
For a quick and clever take on a Monte Cristo, Kay Chun griddles ham until it's crisp, then piles it onto fried bread with cheese for a crispy, cheesy, insanely delicious sandwich.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound very thinly sliced ham
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Four 1-inch-thick slices of Pullman bread
- 8 slices (1/2 pound) of Gruyère cheese
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- On a griddle, melt the butter. Cook the ham over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crispy around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Dip the bread in the eggs and cook on the griddle until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the bread and top with the cheese and ham. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Garnish with basil and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.