- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- One 1 1/4-pound eggplant, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound buffalo mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 large basil leaves, torn
- Coarse sea salt
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and grill over high heat until crisp on the outside but still soft inside, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a platter.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat until charred on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill until tender, about 3 minutes longer.
- Top the eggplant with the tomato, mozzarella and basil. Cover the grill and cook until the cheese melts, 2 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to the bread, sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
Sam opted for Guinness with this sandwich. "People often think dark beers are heavy in body, alcohol and calories," he said. "I like that Guinness has roasty flavors but is still relatively light." Marnie chose a Rioja mellowed by several years of aging.