- Kosher salt
- 4 small leeks, white part only, quartered lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb—halved, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large plum tomatoes, quartered
- 16 large egg whites
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 4 basil sprigs, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 475°. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil with 2 tablespoons of salt. Add the leeks and fennel and blanch for 2 minutes; drain and pat dry. Transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Roast in the upper third of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until browned. Add the tomatoes and roast for about 3 minutes, or until softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites with salt and pepper. Lightly rub an 8-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet with some of the remaining 1teaspoon of oil and set it over moderate heat. Add one-fourth of the beaten egg whites, spreading them around the pan, and cook until just barely set, about 3 minutes. Top the omelet with one-fourth of the roasted vegetables and crumble one-fourth of the goat cheese on top. Bake for about 2 minutes, or until the whites are just firm. Slide the omelet onto a plate and repeat with the remaining egg whites, roasted vegetables and goat cheese. Garnish the omelets with the basil sprigs and serve.
One Serving 200 calories, 9.7 gm total fat, 4.7 gm saturated fat, 8 gm carb.