Oodles of Noodles with Cheese
- SERVINGS: 4
Because most people go to Seattle's Dahlia lounge for the innovative northwestern food and the groovy scene, a lot of them miss this excellent take on macaroni and cheese. It's not one of those Cheddar-heavy versions. Instead it has the slight tang of goat cheese, a spicy bread crumb and bacon topping and a healthy dose of grated Parmesan.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarse dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a small skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, and let cool. Crumble the bacon.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the olive oil until foamy. In a bowl, toss the bacon with the bread crumbs, parsley, lemon zest and crushed red pepper. Stir in the olive oil mixture until incorporated.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cream and simmer, stirring, until reduced by one-third, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan, goat cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the penne to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain the penne and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the cheese sauce and toss. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and serve.
The red pepper can be balanced by acidity, fruit and a touch of sweetness. Try a Riesling or Tocai Friulano.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.