© Lucy Schaeffer
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES 2 DOZEN
- 4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped (3/4 pound)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 425° and spray two 12-cup muffin tins with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse the onions until pureed. Transfer 2 cups of the onion puree to a bowl and stir in the butter, sugar and eggs. One at a time, stir in the salt, baking powder, walnuts and flour; mix thoroughly. Spoon the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unmold them on a wire rack and let cool.
Make Ahead The muffins can be frozen for up to 1 week. Thaw completely and rewarm before serving.