© John Kernick
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 garnish servings
More Delicious Fried Foods
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fine salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, fine cornmeal, cornstarch and the 1 teaspoon of salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the egg until thoroughly combined.
- Working in batches, dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture. Dip the rings in the buttermilk mixture, allowing the excess to drip off. Fry the rings until golden brown and crisp, about 1 minute per batch. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Serve hot.
Make AheadThe recipe can be made up to 3 hours ahead. Recrisp before serving.