Onion-Cheese Tart with Radicchio Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
This pizza-like tart is made with free-form puff pastry topped with three cheesesricotta, Parmesan and Gruyèrebacon and onion. "It tastes a little like the white pizza I used to eat after surfing in Florida," says Vinny Dotolo. Jon Shook adds, "Actually, it tastes like the white pizza you'd eat after surfing in France."
- 3/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 14 ounces all-butter puff pastry
- Egg wash made with 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the skillet. Add the onion to the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the thyme and crushed red pepper and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix the ricotta with the Parmigiano-Reggiano, garlic and the 2 egg yolks and season with salt.
- Cut the puff pastry into 2 rectangles. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece to a 13-by-8 1/2-inch rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Place each rectangle on a parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Using a small knife, score a 1/2-inch border around each rectangle, cutting halfway through the pastry. Brush the borders with the egg wash. Spread the ricotta mixture over each rectangle. Scatter the Gruyère and the bacon-onion mixture on top. Bake in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for about 20 minutes, until the pastry is richly browned; switch the pans halfway through baking. If the pastry bubbles, poke it with a knife and continue baking.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oils with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the radicchio and parsley and toss well.
- Cut the tarts into squares. Top with the salad and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.