- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered through the root ends
- 1/2 cup pure olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Kosher salt
- 12 sweet Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
How to make this recipe
- Squeeze the lemon halves into a large, resealable plastic bag. Cut each lemon half into 4 pieces and add to the bag along with the onions, olive oil, mustard, dried sage and Worcestershire sauce; season with pepper. Seal the bag and squish the ingredients together until well mixed. Add the chicken pieces to the bag and coat thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Let the chicken stand at room temperature in the marinade for 30 minutes. Pour the contents of the bag into a large roasting pan. Turn the chicken pieces skin side up and season with salt. Arrange the sausages around the chicken and sprinkle all over with the fresh sage. Bake for 1 hour, until the chicken and sausage are browned; turn the sausages halfway through cooking. Transfer the chicken, sausages, onions and lemons to a platter, drizzle with some of the pan juices and serve.
For this simple, one-dish meal, the up-and-coming Côtes du Roussillon region in France produces hearty, brawny wines.