- 1 pound Castelvetrano olives
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/2 dried New Mexico chile
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Three 3-inch-long orange zest strips
- Two 3-inch-long lemon zest strips
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
How to make this recipe
- Place the olives in a heatproof container. Wrap the star anise, chile, fennel seeds, bay leaf and thyme in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string to make a sachet.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the canola and olive oils to 300°. Remove the pan from the heat and add the strips of orange and lemon zest and the garlic; stir constantly until the garlic softens but doesn’t brown, about 1 minute. Add the spice sachet and white wine and let stand for 15 minutes. Pour the mixture over the olives and let cool, then refrigerate for 2 days.
The olives can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.