- SERVINGS: Makes a 17-by-13-inch focaccia
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- Basic Herb Focaccia, plus 1/3 cup chopped pitted black oil-cured olives (about 24)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, cut into thin wedges and separated into strips (3 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mixed fresh herbs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 oil-cured olives, halves and pitted
- Follow the recipe for Basic Herb Focaccia through through Step 7, with this change: Stir in the olives with the herbs in Step 1.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over moderate heat. Add the oil and onions, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the onions are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until softened but not brown, about 3 more minutes. Add the mixed herbs, season with coarse herbs, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Spread the onion topping over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Dip your fingers in flour and make many indentations through the topping. Arrange the olive halves decoratively on the dough and sprinkle coarse salt evenly all over the top. Bake according to Step 9.
NotesLauren Groveman is the author of The I Love to Cook Book: Rediscovering the Joy of Cooking for Family and Friends.