Old-Fashioned Banana Bread
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes one 9-by-5-inch loaf
This extraordinarily simple and tasty banana bread (with a moist center and crispy crust) is a Ritter family heirloom. "The recipe has been in our family for generations," Lisa Ritter says.
- Unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch metal loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 1/4 cups of flour with the baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil, sugar and mashed bananas. Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for about 50 minutes, until the bread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then turn the bread out onto the rack and let cool completely. Dust the top with confectioners' sugar, cut into slices and serve.