- 2 tablespoons plain, dry bread crumbs or matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the Old Bay. Lightly season the scallops with salt and pepper. Coat the top and bottom of each scallop in the seasoning mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add half of the scallops and cook over moderately high heat until richly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a large rimmed baking sheet. Wipe out the skillet. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the remaining scallops. Transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Add the lemon juice and water to the skillet, bring to a boil and cook over moderate heat, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Remove from the heat and swirl in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the parsley and season with salt.
- Pour the butter sauce onto plates. Top with the scallops and serve right away.
Contributed By Marcia Kiesel Photo Published