- 2 tablespoons plain, dry bread crumbs or matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the Old Bay. Lightly season the scallops with salt and pepper. Coat the top and bottom of each scallop in the seasoning mixture.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add half of the scallops and cook over moderately high heat until richly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a large rimmed baking sheet. Wipe out the skillet. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the remaining scallops. Transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
Add the lemon juice and water to the skillet, bring to a boil and cook over moderate heat, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Remove from the heat and swirl in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the parsley and season with salt.
Pour the butter sauce onto plates. Top with the scallops and serve right away.