- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound okra, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch-wide pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ears of corn, kernels cut off
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the okra, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over moderately high heat until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until tender, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the okra to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the corn, cover and cook over moderate heat until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, paprika and cumin, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the okra and cook, stirring, to heat through. Stir in the butter, season with salt and pepper and serve.
The recipe can be refrigerated overnight.
Contributed By Marcia Kiesel Photo Published