- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound okra, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch-wide pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ears of corn, kernels cut off
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the okra, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over moderately high heat until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until tender, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the okra to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the corn, cover and cook over moderate heat until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, paprika and cumin, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the okra and cook, stirring, to heat through. Stir in the butter, season with salt and pepper and serve.
The recipe can be refrigerated overnight.