- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds octopus tentacles, separated
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add the onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the octopus and simmer over moderate heat for 1 hour, until tender. Let the octopus cool in the liquid, then drain. Using a paper towel, wipe the purple skin off the tentacles, leaving the suckers intact. Cut the tentacles into 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the green beans until tender, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a plate and pat dry. Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until tender, 25 minutes. Let cool slightly, then peel and dice the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the octopus with the potatoes, green beans, garlic, parsley and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Rich, not-too-briny seafood like octopus can pair as well with a light red wine as with a substantial white; try a Barbera d'Alba or a Chardonnay.