- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 quarts water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds octopus tentacles
- 1 1/2 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- In a large pot, combine the onion, carrot, celery and water. Add a small handful of salt and bring to a boil. Add the octopus and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 45 minutes. Let the octopus cool in the broth for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and boil until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 3/4-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, toss the potatoes with 3 tablespoons of the parsley and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- 4.Cut the octopus into 3/4-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of parsley, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the garlic and jalapeño. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Transfer the potatoes and octopus to a large platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
The salad can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.