Octopus and Potato Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
During summers at the shore on Elba, Benedetta Vitali's three sons would spend their days catching octopus with their bare hands. This is one of many octopus recipes that Vitali developed.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 quarts water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds octopus tentacles
- 1 1/2 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- In a large pot, combine the onion, carrot, celery and water. Add a small handful of salt and bring to a boil. Add the octopus and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 45 minutes. Let the octopus cool in the broth for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and boil until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 3/4-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, toss the potatoes with 3 tablespoons of the parsley and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- 4.Cut the octopus into 3/4-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of parsley, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the garlic and jalapeño. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Transfer the potatoes and octopus to a large platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.