Cheesy Tomato-Bread Strata
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread (about 8 ounces), crusts removed and bread torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces imported Fontina cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spread the bread on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, just until lightly crisp.
- In the same bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olives, basil, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the toasted bread and cheese, toss well and transfer to a deep 10-inch glass pie plate. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bread is browned on top. Serve hot.
Pair with a juicy, berry-rich Sangiovese like the Italian Di Majo Norante.