Ancho Steak Rub
This aromatic rub is best on rich steaks such as skirt or ribeye.
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix the ancho powder with the salt, cumin, brown sugar, coriander, pepper, garlic and thyme. Stir in the olive oil to form a paste. Rub or brush steaks with the paste and let stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. Grill the steaks over moderate heat so the garlic and spices don't burn.