Oaxacan Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Salsa
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
These burgers don't exist in Mexico, but they are flavored with spices and seasonings used in the various chile-based moles for which Oaxaca is famous.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon pure ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 4 English muffins, toasted
- 1/2 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons toasted shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Chipotle Salsa
- In a large bowl, lightly knead the turkey with the cilantro, scallion, garlic, ancho powder, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Shape the meat into 4 patties about 3/4 inch thick and set them on a plate lined with plastic wrap.
- Light a grill. When the fire is medium hot, brush the burgers and the grate lightly with oil. Grill the burgers for 13 minutes, turning once, for medium meat. Set the burgers on the muffins; top with the avocado, pumpkin seeds and Chipotle Salsa. Close the muffins and serve with the remaining salsa.
Beer A Mexican lager like Dos Equis has the fruitiness to complement the spices here and stand up to the grilled flavors.