- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup steel-cut oats, such as McCann's
- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup frozen baby peas (5 ounces), thawed
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pecorino shavings
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the oats and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the stock and simmer over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until nearly absorbed. Continue cooking the oats, adding 1 cup of stock at a time and cooking until the liquid is nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the oats are chewy-tender and suspended in a thick sauce, about 25 minutes total. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir in the peas, scallion and 3/4 cup of the cheese and cook until the peas are heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer the risotto to bowls, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.
Earthy, full-bodied, Rhône white, such as a Crozes-Hermitage Blanc.