- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Egg wash: 1 large egg yolk lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
- Demerara or Turbinado sugar
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, combine the oats and milk and let stand until the oats soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and pulse a few times to blend. Add the cheese and butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. Stir the beaten egg into the softened oats, then scrape the oats into the food processor. Pulse until a dough forms. Scrape the dough onto a large sheet of plastic wrap and gently knead a few times until thoroughly blended. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap it up and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Work with half of the dough at a time: On a lightly floured work surface, dust the dough with flour. Cover with a large sheet of plastic wrap. Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick. Quickly cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares or stamp out different shapes. Brush off any excess flour and transfer the squares to one of the baking sheets. Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes, until the squares are firm. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
- Lightly brush the squares with the egg wash and lightly sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 16 minutes, until the crackers are golden brown. Transfer to a rack and let cool before serving or packaging.